Hardware Retailing

NOV 2017

Hardware Retailing magazine is the pre-eminent how-to management magazine for small business owners and managers in the home improvement retailing industry.

Issue link: http://hardwareretailing.epubxp.com/i/889894

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 49 of 78

Crest Hardware and Urban Garden Center's lawn and garden plants and products are almost 100 percent organic now. Just as bee populations are facing decline, monarch butterflies are another pollinator at risk. Holdridge Home & Garden Showplace has been actively involved in helping grow the population of monarch butterflies by releasing them from their store for the past 10 years, Henson says. To increase butterflies in the wild, there is a need for the insect's host plant of milkweed. The staff educates customers to plant milkweed in their yards, as it is the only food monarch caterpillars can eat before they become butterflies. Attracting birds is another way to keep bugs and pests at bay. At Crest Hardware and Urban Garden Center, customers can find bird feeders, houses and wild bird feed to keep the local bird-watchers or wild bird enthusiasts coming back for more. In Southern California, Sandell at Green Thumb Nursery says hobbyists flock to their store for bird products. Nearly 75 percent are eager to attract hummingbirds and the remaining 25 percent purchase food that draws song birds to their yards, she says. "Our customers are enthralled by watching the birds and butterflies come to their yards," Sandell says. "We sell lots of milkweed for our butterfly fans, as well as plants and bird feed that is more specific to different kinds of birds." 1-800-950-4458 | chapinmfg.com Proven Performance © 2017 Chapin International, Inc. 8301C 80-Pound Contractor Turf Spreader 63924 4-Gallon 24v Rechargeable Backpack Sprayer G362D All-Purpose Professional Hose-End Sprayer Defi ned by quality The brand trusted by professionals & homeowners for over 125 years.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Hardware Retailing - NOV 2017